Welcome Guest

Shopping cart

Your cart is empty.

Booker Lagoon

Everyone cruised around the lagoon checking out the best location to spend a few nights. The day was overcast and cool with a little drizzle and no breeze.

By the time we had the dinghies and kayaks launched, the sky started to clear up a bit and we headed out to explore the lagoon. The tidal falls that kept us in or out of the lagoon were great fun in the kayaks – with back eddies and counter currents around the small islets, you could drift with the current and enjoy the scenery or blast through the rapids for a more exciting ride.

We found a clear spot on a rocky islet, with Nodding Onion in bloom. We built a fire pit and collected driftwood to cook dinner that evening. Some went out of the lagoon to try their luck at catching salmon; some relaxed, enjoyed the sun, and waited until low tide for the clams and oysters to show themselves.

At low tide, I dispatched our hearty crews to the likely oyster beaches and clam beds. As the tide chased them off the beach, all returned with big smiles and brimming buckets of nature’s bounty. While the clams were busy cleaning themselves for dinner, we set up our makeshift dinner camp. We dragged up drift wood and rocks to make benches and tables, and hauled in coolers of drinks and kettles to cook the clams.

The big crab/clam kettle got a good workout on the trip. A handy grill for the beach BBQ was fashioned out of scrap from the boat yard; those bent stanchions are good for something. Jeff’s new camera gets a workout.We started dinner with oysters roasted on the grill and cold beer. We must have brought the beer with us – the closest store was many miles away. I think the kids in us tried to pretend this was our little bay, and we were the first to discover this little treasure. We all gathered on the rock for what was to be the first of many enjoyable potluck dinners. The water was set to boil, the onions were roasted, butter melted, and the first bucket of clams was pulled from the cold northwest water and steamed in a brew of fire roasted onions, (that have a slight garlic taste), a little white wine, butter, and a dash of red pepper. Yum!

Dinner was served. Oysters on the grill; clams steamed, fried, and sautéed; pasta and salads. With something from each boat, we had an incredible dinner. Food and the great outdoors proved to be the common interest, and we had plenty of both. Everyone was starting to get acquainted. New friendships were already starting to form, especially with the clams and oysters! The summer cruise was off to a great start.

Our first organized event was in Booker Lagoon where we stern tied for three days. There were so many oysters and clams! All 30 of us had a wonderful potluck on a big flat rock amid local showers. There was a lot of discussion about Cape Caution and Dixon Entrance. We considered getting underway at 0200 to avoid adverse wind and current; however, ‘true to form’, we all left about 0900 after a big breakfast with complementary scones from Ruby Slippers. – Charles